One of my favorite filipino desserts is Ube Macapuno Roll. This is a cake made with ube (filipino yam in a shredded or jam form) and also with macapuno (youn coconut which is generally shredded or cut into very small pieces). The cake is generally rolled with frosting in the middle. The frosting is made of butter, confectioner’s sugar and macapuno.
I have never really given much thought to making the roll version of the cake. However, I have seen a few recipes on different blogs in the past, so a cupcake variant seemed like a good way to go. The biggest challenge with these cakes is getting the shade of purple dark enough. The jam is a part of it, but another big part is the ube extract. In the future I might increase the extract slightly as that seems to have a larger effect on the shade of the batter.
Recipe adapted from –
ube cupcakes: makes 14 cupcakes
½ cup macapuno
½ cup ube jam
½ cup milk
½ cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
½ tsp McCormick ube flavoring
½ cup butter, softened
8oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup Macapuno strings, chopped (Macapuno is jarred coconut found in Asian markets)
16 oz powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift flour, baking powder and salt, set aside
2. Place ube jam in a large bowl. Mix together with 1/2 cup milk, vanilla and ube flavoring. Gradually blend until smooth, set aside.
3. In a seperate bowl mixed butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined.
4. Add a portion of flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix on low speed until just combined, then add a portion of ube/milk mixture, continuing to alternate between the flour and the ube/milk until everything is combined. Stir in macapuno.
5. Place baking paper cups into muffin pans and spoon 1/4 cup batter into each cups.
6. Bake for 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pans and let it cool on a wire rack.
7. While cupcakes are cooling on rack, prepare the frosting by beating the butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add the macapuno and mix to combine. Gradually add the powdered sugar and continue to mix until everything is combined.
7. Frost cupcakes with macapuno frosting.