I have been trying to figure out what to do with some ground turkey we bought recently at Costco. They have a pretty good deal there, where there are 4 packages of 1.25 pounds of ground turkey. They sell this for just about $10 which is very economical. Usually I make turkey burgers, or brown the meat and use it to make patty melts. But, I recently came across a recipe for meatloaf using ground turkey and I know my wife likes meatloaf so I decided to go for it.
The recipe is extremely easy and takes all of 10 minutes to prepare prior to baking.
2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
1 cup onion , chopped
3 cloves garlic , minced
1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
3/4 cup catsup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Melt butter in a skillet.
2. Cook onion and garlic in melted butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place mixture in a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Combine turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 1/4 cup of the catsup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper with onion mixture.
5. Press meatloaf into an 8×4-inch loaf pan.
6. Spread remaining catsup on top.
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
8. (Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.) Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
My wife came home from work and the meatloaf was resting on the kitchen counter. She tried one piece and loved it. She then asked for a second piece. Looks like this recipe will be in the rotation.